Being in a car accident can be a scary event. Oftentimes drivers are so flustered, they forget to gather important information that could be beneficial to their claim. If you are ever involved in a car accident, it is important that you obtain as much information as possible (of course, this is if you aren’t injured too severely).
The following are some of the things you can do to help the process of filing an auto accident claim to go smooth:
- Write down the names and phone numbers of the other drivers involved as well as any passengers (it is important to always keep a pen and paper in your glove box)
- Write down the names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident (this can be beneficial in determining liability if you decide to pursue a lawsuit)
- Write down the license plate numbers of the other vehicles involved as well as the make and model of the vehicles
- Ask for the driver’s insurance card; if possible, take a picture of the card for your records
- Take pictures or even video of any damage and other evidence (you can do this with your camera phone if you don’t have a camera handy)
- Call the police (even if the accident is severe, it is important that you document the details of the accident)
- Go to the doctor (even if you think your injuries are minor, you should get medical attention to determine if you are worse off than you think. You might have whiplash or a back or neck injury that can worsen over time. To prove that the injury is linked to the accident, you need to have it recorded by a doctor.)
By obtaining as much information as possible, you will arm yourself against any false claims. This will help the process of filing the claim with your insurance company and will help you in a future lawsuit if it comes down to that.
As Florida auto accident attorneys, Baron & Herskowitz have extensive experience helping persons and families that are injured in auto accidents in Miami and across the state of Florida. If you are injured in an auto accident and would like to learn your legal rights, please call our firm today. We would be happy to assess your case in a free and private consultation.