Being injured in a serious accident can be a very traumatic experience. If your injuries were caused by the fault or actions of another, you are most likely entitled to receive financial compensation for your damages. It is important to hire a skilled and experienced attorney who can respond to your needs and make sure that you are properly compensated.
Choosing the Right Lawyer
After your injury, you will most likely be overwhelmed by lawyers vying for your case. There are so many lawyers advertising on television, radio, billboards and the Internet that it can be difficult to narrow down your search. Baron & Herskowitz does not advertise. We are retained to represent the injured the old fashioned way; referrals from clients and lawyers who recognize the quality of representation and the success that is provided.
What to Look for in a Personal Injury Lawyer
It is important to thoroughly research several potential candidates before deciding on your personal injury lawyer. The following tips will help you in your search:
- Look up the attorneys record with the Florida Bar.
- Make sure he or she has a solid success rate in previous cases.
- Ask any potential attorney to provide you with references from previous clients. If the attorney is unwilling to supply references, you should continue searching.
- Make sure that the attorney has handled similar cases in the past. An attorney who specializes in foreclosure defense might not be the best person to handle your auto accident claim.
- Find out if the lawyer will be personally handling your case from beginning to end, or if a team of paralegals will be doing most of the work.
- Ask about fees up front. Most personal injury cases are handled on a contingency fee basis. This means that if you do not receive compensation for your damages, your lawyer will not get paid. Do not hire an attorney who does not work on a contingency fee basis for personal injury cases. It is also important to find out the specifics of the contingency fee up front so that you know what percentage of your settlement you will have to pay to your lawyer.
- Look up your potential attorneys ratings on directories, such as Martindale-Hubbell. These organizations will provide you with feedback from the lawyer’s peers that will help you evaluate his experience, skills and ethics.
If you have been injured by the fault of another, the personal injury attorneys at Baron & Herskowitz can help you receive the compensation you deserve. Please contact our office today to schedule a free consultation.